Over the past few years more and more of our clients require a flexible and sophisticated platform on which they can manage learning content in a variety of ways. After much research, OLG has included Moodle as an offering to clients which integrates with eVision. When a student is registered onto our eVision administration system the student can have automatic access to Moodle and have access to the course and subjects /modules for which they are registered.
Moodle (Modular Object-Oriented Dynamic Learning Environment) is a web-based open source learning management system used across the world in over 100 countries in both small and large applications, ranging from small schools to businesses to large universities, as a full-featured online teaching and learning system. The system enables students to access learning material in an interactive and engaging manner.
- It is an active and evolving work in progress.
- The system was developed by educators and it is fully customisable.
- Over 200 developers are globally contributing to the source code on a regular basis.
- There are over 48 000 registered Moodle sites in over 210 countries.
- Platform is robust, secure and scalable.
- South Africa has over 200 Moodle sites including:
- Rhodes University
- University of the Free State
- University of Witwatersrand
- Stellenbosch University
- Old Mutual
- Rio Tinto
- Activities include: Assignments, Chats, Forums, Wikis, Glossary, Lessons, and Questionnaires/Surveys.
BENEFITS OF MOODLE
- A wide range of media, including textual documents, video and audio, can be utilised to create learning content.
- Complete customisation of look and feel, allowing consistent branding of business/corporate identity.
- Moodle is customised and configured on a platform as well as course level to meet client requirements and specifications.
- New plug-ins and modules that expand Moodle functionality are continuously being developed and released by Moodle’s worldwide community.
- Full range of assessments including MCQ, assignments, true and false matching answers, etc. Some of these are automatically graded by the system and others can be marked online by the assessor.
- Reporting: the platform provides detailed records of user activity within the learning system, as well as assessment results, e.g. tests and quizzes.
- Student-to-student and teacher-to-student interactivity and communication through the use of Wikis, Forums, IM, Chats and Blogs etc.
- Moodle boasts an extensive track record of successful use within large and small international organisations and learning institutions.